Monday, April 29, 2013

This Week's Spotlight ~ Rachel Dolcine: The Will to Live and Succeed.

Rachel Dolcine was born in Jamaica, West Indies, raised in Brooklyn, New York and relocated to Baltimore nine years ago.  She is  the oldest of six children raised on public assistance by a single mother.  By all accounts, she should not have turned out well.  However, her mother prayed for her children every night and although born premature, Rachel had a will to live and succeed. 

Here’s Rachel's Story
I must credit much of my success to the principle of giving back to others.  Giving back defines my life and I am raising my son to understand the importance of citizenship and “being your brother’s keeper”.  I am also a business owner, mother, wife and mentor.  I have been an avid volunteer since the age of twelve.  The last 10 years of my volunteer career has been spent helping at risk women and their families discover their potential and guiding them through the process of accessing resources to improve their quality of life.

I obtained a Bachelor of Arts from John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a Masters in Public Administration from the University of Baltimore and completed the Associated Black Charities (ABC) Board Pipeline Leadership Program.  I am an Adjunct Faculty member at Anne Arundel and Baltimore County Community Colleges; an approved Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) Childcare Trainer; an experienced GED Instructor; and a certified Health & Safety Institute (HSI) CPR/First Aid Instructor and CPR/First Aid Train the Trainer Instructor.

I have worked in a management capacity in the Nonprofit sector for the last twelve years.  My most recent position was the Outreach, Partnership and Training Director for Baltimore Reads, Inc., a local nonprofit that provides adult literacy services to adults with the lowest literacy levels in Baltimore City.  Throughout my Nonprofit career, I have been recognized and sought after for my experience and expertise in strategic planning; program development, implementation and assessment; curriculum writing and development; social enterprise development; professional development planning and implementation; and resource partnership recruitment and retention.  I also have experience in Nonprofit Board development and grant writing.

In 2010 I started Compass Training Solutions with the intent to offer trainings to individuals that were looking for ways to build their professional and personal portfolios.  In 2011 I added on a Consulting component renaming my business to Compass Consulting and Training Solutions.  I added the consulting component because I realized that there were so many people who wanted to start their own businesses and nonprofits, but had no idea where to start.  Some were brimming over with ideas, desires, commitment and passion…BUT…their fear crippled them and banished their dreams to the desert of “I wish I could”.

Today, Compass Consulting and Training Solutions, LLC focuses on the individual who has limitless potential but is held back by fear: fear of failure, fear of making mistakes, fear of being incompetent, etc.  We help clients develop a plan and connect them with the best suited resources for their business needs.  Additionally, we offer high energy, hands on trainings that are specifically designed to suit the needs of an individual who has the desire to add value to their professional and personal life by attending professional and personal development trainings and workshops.

Our motto: We know where you’re heading…we’ll help you get there.
 
I currently serve on the Imagine Discovery Public Charter School PTA Executive Board and Bringing On New Direction (BOND) Board of Directors.

My Greatest Accomplishment to Date Has Been:
My greatest accomplishment has been two-fold: becoming a mother and taking the leap of faith to focus on building my business.

The Most Challenging Thing I Ever Experienced:
Taking the leap of faith to focus on my business without working full time or part time.  It is amazing that over my professional career, I have been praised for my brains, wit, work ethic, commitment, drive, tenacity, conscientiousness, thoroughness and passion whilst making a living working for someone else.  Yet, the moment I decided to use my brains, wit, work ethic, commitment, drive, tenacity, conscientiousness, thoroughness, and passion to making a living working for myself…I had a room full of doubters.  A never ending commentary from the “but sayers”…”but this”…”but that”.  I actually had more job offers when I became a “free” agent than I have had over my entire career.  Nevertheless, I stepped forward bolding.  After all, the response my associates confirmed that I had indeed made the right choice to work for myself.
 
10 Most Valuable Lesson(s): 
1.) The most valuable things and relationships are worth a relentless fight
2.) Nonprofit work and small business ownership is not for punks
3.) I attract what I think.  As a man/woman thinketh in his heart, so is he/she
4.) Sometimes the road to small business success is a lonely one
5.) I am my brand…my brand is me.  I am Compass Consulting and Training Solutions, LLC.  When clients see me, they see Compass Consulting and Training Solutions…so…I better live right!
6.) Not to cast my pearls before swine.  My business and time are valuable.  I have learned to be more discerning with whom I share my business and my time
7.) God has given me these talents.  If I do not use them to the best of my ability AND to give him glory, they will be taken and given to someone else
8.) Trust is a two way street.  It is earned not given
9.) Forgiveness is a choice.  When you choose to forgive yourself, it is easier to forgive others.  Love your neighbor as yourself.  You can’t do one without the other
10.) I am awesome! I am created in the image of an amazing, wonderful and powerful God.  So, I can’t help it…I’ve got to be on point!

Final Remarks: 
“As you travel through life, keep your eyes on the donut and not on the hole cause you might fall in” (my elementary school custodian).  Be grateful! Be thankful! Be grateful! Focus on what you have…not on what you don’t have.  Focusing on what you don’t have will only lead you to a bottomless hole of misery that takes a hell of a time to climb out of.

For more information on Rachel Dolcine or Compass Consulting & Training solutions visit www.compasscts.com or email compasssoultions@gmail.com.

BOND Inc Spotlight features ordinary African American women from all around who are doing extra-ordinary things. If you or anyone you know would like to be featured, send your requests for more information to iambondinc@gmail.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment