Monday, April 14, 2014

Suffering In Silence- BOND's Call to Action


I can’t shake this!!!  I’m crushed.  I’m hurt. I’m saddened. I’m mad.  I’m angry. I’m at work and yet I just want to go home and cry. How could this happen?  How could someone who had so much more to offer this world and with such a promising future want to check out? Suicide is happening way too often these days.  There’s not a day that goes by that you don’t hear of yet another story of someone taking their own life.  It’s almost as if it’s common place now. We hear it so often that many have become desensitized by the unfortunate news.


The heartbreaking news of Baltimore’s own Karyn Washington, founder of the local For Brown Girls took her life is hard to comprehend. And while I didn’t know her personally, I knew of her through her most recent project Dark Skin Red Lip Project.
Honestly I don’t know all the details of her passing but one thing that I’m most certain of is there are too many Karyn Washington’s that are suffering in silence. There are too many “brown girls” who are at their wits end. I also know that we all matter.  You matter to me; you matter to your family and friends; more important than that, you matter to God.  We each are fearfully and wonderful made and because we are fearfully and wonderfully made that means you are precious in God’s sight. You are so special and significant that a price tag can’t even be attached to your life. You are beyond priceless.

If anybody that knows that work we do here at BOND Inc, you know that everything we do serves a purpose.  Our upcoming BOND Gathering in May “Mama Knows Best- The Lost Art of Wise Counsel” becomes even more crucial to women; especially women of color.  Our Gathering now becomes a serious Call to Action. Don’t you agree that something must be done about this increased rate of suicide among women of color? Wouldn’t you all agree that a conversation needs to be had and had soon?

I encourage you to mark Friday, May 16th at 7:30 PM on your calendars. Its a FREE event so you don't have to worry about shelling out money. Just be there.  You don't have to worry about what you're going to eat because we have that covered too. Just come.  I encourage you all to come out in droves. This must be a standing room only Gathering.  I encourage you to share this Gathering with your sister- friends, your co-workers, your family, and colleagues. Any woman over the age of 25 you think can benefit from this Gathering, invite them to come. We’re coming together for a purpose and that purpose is to make a difference in the lives of as many women of color as we possibly can. Our purpose is to let our fellow sisters know that she matters. What better way than through mentorship and a positive network of support, encouragement and guidance. We can bring to a halt the spirit of suicide and the best way to do that is through love.  

Why don’t you join us.  To RSVP  and for more details CLICK HERE

Other Stories
Spring 2014 Newsletter
Mighty Woman. She's Earned the Right and Title

No comments:

Post a Comment