Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Natural & All Feature: Brenda


Hello my name is Brenda
My natural hair journey began a little something like this…
I had gotten really frustrated with the state my hair was end.  It had gotten so thin and fragile.  I had to keep a hand held broom in the bathroom because every time I combed my hair, I had to sweep up all the strands that fell out or broke onto the floor and into the sink.  May 30, 2009 I went to the salon to get my hair styled yet, I walked out with what I later learned was called a Big Chop (BC).  I was very ignorant to natural hair and had no idea what to do with it.  I actually thought I would handle it just like I had my relaxed hair.  It didn’t take long to figure out that wasn’t going to work.
I decided to go natural because I wanted my hair to start over.  I knew as a child, I had very dense and healthy hair and I wanted that back.  When I had it cut off, I had intentions of relaxing again once my hair grew back in healthy.  About two months in, a friend turned me onto a site called Curly Nikki (CN).  This was a new beginning for me.  I had no idea there were websites out there totally dedicated to Natural Hair.  Of course CN led me to other sites.  I have since gained a wealth of knowledge from the CN website as well as others.  Now, I have no intentions of ever relaxing my hair again.
My friends and family were very proud of my decision to go natural and as a result I embrace my natural hair quickly.  I never had feelings of insecurity, I was actually empowered.  I no longer had hair to hide behind to make me feel ‘beautiful’.  Even though, I had no idea how to maintain or what to do with my hair for quite some time, I never had regrets.  I won’t lie and say that I never wished that I had a different texture or that it was a little easier to manage, but those feelings never lasted.  I didn’t really have those feelings until I gained some length and it became more of a challenge to detangle.  It was only on wash day though that I ever had an ill thought about my hair.  Every other day, I was rocking a fabulous twist out or a maintenance free up-do. 

The goal for my hair is just to remain healthy.  I don’t really have any length goals but I am interested to see how long it will get although I have thought about cutting it again.  I have been completely natural for almost 2 years and 4 months.  It is now longer than I think it ever was as a child dealing with pressing combs and relaxers.  I just take care of it, keep it moisturized and protected.

If I were stranded on an island the products I just couldn’t live without are Shea Moisture Products because it makes my hair soft and manageable.  I became a real product junky for about a year and a half after my BC.  I allowed myself that time to figure out what works for me and my hair.  I quickly learned that just because something works for one doesn’t mean it will work for all.  I have bought all the fancy and expensive products that promised to work miracles on my hair and yet found that Shea Moisture works as well if not better than some of the products I have used.  There are other product lines that I like and that work well for me but Shea Moisture is currently my staple line of products.

Throughout this journey I’ve learned my hair is just that, “mine”.  I have had curl envy at times and wished my hair was a certain way but once I let that go and worked with the hair on my head, it was like an epiphany.  It took me some time to figure out what my hair loved and how it needed to be treated.  I still try new things but for the most part, I have a good understanding of my hair and what it needs.

If you would like to be featured or post any of your health and beauty information on our Natural & All page please send your inquiries to iambondinc@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment