Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Meet our Panelist -James "Lee" Stevens

                         
32 
Glen Burnie 
Happily Married

Tell us a little bit about yourself?
I grew up in Glen Burnie, Maryland and was educated in the Anne Arundel County Public School System. I am the youngest of three, son of a soldier and a minister. My desire and hunger to help people led me to pursue my Bachelors Degree in Sociology from North Carolina Wesleyan College. I then was led to join the United States Armed Forces which eventually led to deployment in Iraq. After the completion of my time in the Army I met and married an amazing love in my life and began traveling north, south, east, and west, all over the world. My experiences have aided me in not being ignorant to the next man or woman’s struggle, survival, victory or defeat in life. I have decided AGAINST being in a dubious battle with the world. Instead, I am DETERMINED to chat with it.


What are your personal philosophies, attitudes and/or beliefs on (the):

§  Opposite Sex:       I love the opposite sex! I believe they are unique in design and are complicated creatures. The differences we have are very intriguing to me. When delivered properly and received correctly the differences can bring on a new and interesting perspective. I personally seek to understand the dimensions and layers of a female. This includes the emotions a woman displays on her face, to her choice of color of nail polish.

§  Love & relationships:       I believe in both! This is something that stimulates me (not like that). Love and relationships is something that I never walked away from…I’ve always walked toward it. However, in walking towards it I ensured that my visibility was clear and things were not blinding me. Precaution, not fear, prevented me from proceeding if something did not feel right. Many times the excitement, the newness, or simply the fear of loneliness will make people ignore signs that they need to pay attention to.

§  Current state of the Black Family:          In order for me to consider the current state of the Black Family, I would need to establish a reference point of comparison. Are we comparing the current state to a decade ago or a century ago? I do believe, however, that the state of family in general (Black, White, Hispanic, etc.) is in a state of dysfunction. References can be made by referring to the divorce rate, increase in single parenting and lack of religion. The society in which consumes us has resulted in people on the grind and constantly chasing a dollar. Simple customs such as eating dinner together are being sacrificed.

No comments:

Post a Comment